History of Peterhof Palace
Peterhof Palace was built in 1723 on behalf of Peter the Great. “Peterhof” means “Peter’s court” in Dutch. At the beginning of the 18th century, Pierre-le-Grand traveled extensively in Europe. When he returned to Russia, he wanted to give a new impetus to the Russian Empire, drawing on what he had learned in Holland. This is how he founded St. Petersburg and also the Peterhof Palace.